Reviewers now have the ability to initiate a translation sync!
In the past, syncing with Transifex didn’t happen very often because it was a rather manual and tedious process that only a developer could initiate.
New and updated translations are added when a Transifex project resource gets to 100% translated AND reviewed in a specific language.
That’s really all you need to know: get a resource to 100% translated and reviewed in your language, and those translations will get added to the website within a few days! But if you want to know the nitty-gritty, read on…
- This sync process only works for the main Discogs website projects: the Discogs.com Localization project and the Discogs Identity Provider project.
- Each language syncs individually. Meaning if all strings a specific resource are translated and reviewed in French, then all French translations in that resource will be updated. But the translations for other languages for that resource aren’t updated until they also reach 100% translated and reviewed.
- Each resource syncs individually. Meaning once all strings in the “messages_js.pot (master)” resource are reviewed (and there are no untranslated strings), then all French translations in that resource will be updated. But the French translations in the “messages.pot (master)” resource are only synced when that resource also gets to 100% translated and reviewed.
- When a reviewer initiates a sync, the translations won’t display immediately. When you initiate a sync, it opens a pull request that a developer still needs to merge in GitHub. So you’ll need to wait until a developer merges that pull request before you see changes online. Developers will generally merge those translation pull requests quickly, but they only merge new code Monday-Thursday.
- A sync is only initiated when a resource gets to 100% translated & reviewed. When a resource is already 100% translated and 100% reviewed, just updating a translation won’t trigger a sync. You’ll need to actually unreview a string, and then re-review it to make sure a sync is initiated.
If you ever have questions, or want to double-check that a sync was indeed initiated, please just ask the Transifex Team Coordinator.